CA Global Africa Recruitment
Reference No. GRB
Managing Director (Commercial Banking) – Kampala, Uganda
Our client, a commercial bank operating in Uganda, wishes to recruit a suitably qualified individual for the position of Managing Director. The Managing Director will work closely with the Executive Director and the board of the bank, to deliver the strategic growth ambitions of the business. As part of the Bank’s Senior Leadership Team, this has responsibility for design and delivery of the Bank's strategy, and 'manage & control' activities and initiatives.
- Will lead bank on credit and business growth, developing funding streams, setting budgets and overseeing their infrastructure in the effective implementation of the Bank’s policies and plans.
- Oversee the implementation of Bank’s financial plans, budgets, forecasts & projections to enable Executive and Board Strategic decisions
- Assist the management team to ensure that the Bank operates on sound commercial principles and achieve the set targets and standards for financial performance, asset quality, customer service and risk management.
- Provide input into investment mix, management of the Bank assets, reinsurance and other strategic decisions affecting the capital position of the Bank's funds
- Work in developing and implementing a business growth strategy in line with the vision and mission of the bank, in achieving strategic objectives.
- Monitor and review the Bank’s competitive environment, take appropriate measures to increase the market share and profitability through mobilization and increase of the deposit base in addition to introduction of new products.
- Review the Bank’s financial viability and cost structure and undertake appropriate measures to monitor and control costs.
- Ensure proper communication and coordination between the bank’s management and the lower level teams in compliance with all rules and regulation of employment terms in Uganda.
- Work with departmental heads to ensure review of the Bank’s corporate policies & procedures, and recommend appropriate amendments and submit to the Board for approval.
- Ensure implementation of the Board approved policies and procedures.
- Promote strong risk excellence culture and regularly evaluate and monitor the Bank’s risk profile.
- Evaluate credit and risk management requirements and ensure that adequate policies and procedures are in place to implement the credit strategy so as to achieve the growth in portfolio size and profitability while managing the risks effectively for all facilities.
- Ensure implementation of standards of asset classification, provisioning and income recognition as per the Bank’s policies and Central Bank guidelines.
- Monitor credit risk management by ensuring adherence to high level of underwriting standards, timely recovery of debts and close follow up of portfolio at risk.
- Promote a customer-centric culture that delivers exceptional service delivery at all business levels, particularly by championing seamless delivery of end-to-end banking services.
- Maintain a positive business corporate image by promoting ethical practices and good corporate governance
- We are looking for a qualified candidate with executive management experience and demonstrable track record of bottom and top line growth. We require you to have previously worked within a financial institution; ideally in banking Uganda.
- You will need to be strong with your interpersonal and communication skills at board / executive level and be commercially and strategically focused.
- Be able to drive a business and match or exceed tough growth targets and have experience of managing a P & L and a good knowledge and understanding of General Management.
- Extensive experience at executive level and demonstrable experience in developing financial strategy and reports.
- Relevant University Degree from a recognized University / Institution. Additional qualification in either MBA or professional banking qualification will be an added advantage.
- Membership to professional bodies e.g. Institute of bankers, ACCA or equivalent will be added advantage.
- At least 20 years' working experience, with at least 10 years at senior management level working in a commercial banking industry specifically corporate finance, credit and corporate management role.